Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Day 11 (week 2)



Today's blog rambles a bit. Sorry.
Life is a road. A road (unless you live in Kansas) is never flat. Full of ups and downs. Today was a road. And I like to drive.
We went to the gas chamber today. We did not get "gassed". But we did learn how to put on the mask and a lot about how to deal with the frightening prospect of Nuclear, Biological and Chemical warfare. I learned just enough to pray that that's not where we want to be. Loved the gas masks in the latrines (porta johns).
Fought a loosing battle with the "Z monster"( I kept trying to fall asleep in the class) not that it was not interesting, I was just very tired. But I was not the only one. Had a friend of mine almost fall asleep standing up. That would have been a great picture!
We got to do another road march. I'm now a road guard. Which means I am a speed bump placed out in traffic to protect the rest of the platoon when we march or run. A lot of extra running. Actually it is not bad. I need to run anyhow. I get to see everyone in my platoon quite a few times during the march. Not sure how far it was. A mile and a half, maybe 2? not sure. But not bad. Still not a fan of the Flak Vest.
We had an opportunity to be brought back into "focus." It is easy for us to think that we have it all figured out. We really have done very well. With our small class size and older students we are pretty responsible. But we are still in a military school. And there is bearing that must be maintained. Bearing can only be maintained with discipline. Discipline can be subtle or when that fails, it must be direct. We did a little extra PT.
We have an amazing bunch of guys and girls. It is an honor to be here with them. We also have an amazing Cadre (staff) that is focused on training us to be chaplains. Not just ministers, but military officers. That's important. Because to be a chaplain requires both. It is a balance. Most of us have the pastoral stuff down. We sometimes need help with the chaplain side. We have the "pick of the litter" for our staff. These chaplains and assistants have been there and done that all over the world. They are the best of the best. And they are the ones that are training us. We are doubly blessed.
Hopefully tomorrow we will keep the valleys a bit shallower. Hooah?
Oh on the slightly funny side. I got salutes from 2 drill sergeants. That is the first time I have ever taken sadistic glee in salutes. Maybe I just have issues with my past. I thought it was funny.
I also had a strange experience with a group of basic training students. I walked past them and man did they pop to and salute. But there was no pleasure in it. There was fear in their eyes. I remember that fear. I suppose it is a part of army life? What is the mix when you are looking at ministering to soldiers? I have always avoided officers. Now I am one. Strange.
Prepare for some good pictures tomorrow. We will get gassed. It is no joke. The pictures will be unedited. I might censor them, but then again I might not! Snot from your nose to the ground! Good training! We will see if I am this positive when I am coming out?

No comments: